Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ancestry in Indiana

I ran across this and decided to post some ancestry for dad. Here is an article about Mrs. Amerika Lyon, my great, great grandmother.

June 16, 1913
Mrs. Amerika Lyon, aged 80, died last night at 11:00at the Home of the Friendless on Race street. Death followed a lingering illness due to complications resulting from old agae and was not unexpected.

She is survived by two sons, Steve Lyon, 1314 Broadway, Charles Lyon, south of the city. One sister, Nancy McClellan, of Utica, Ohio, 85 years of age and two grand children, Bessie and Velma Lyon. She was one of the surviving pioneer residents of Washington township, having spent most of her life there until the last six years making her home with the son Steven with the exception of the last ten months at the Home of the Friendless. Funeral is to be held Thurssday at 2 o'clock from the residenc of her son, 1314 Broadway. Rev. Sumwalt officiating.

The funeral of America Lyons will be held Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock from the home of her son Stephen Lyons, 1314 Broadway. The services will be conducted by the Rev. Sumwalt of the Broadway M.E. church. Internment will be made in the Mt. Hope Cemetary.



America Jane Charles Lyon b. August 24, 1833 d. June 16, 1916
America was the third of seven children of James Charles and Matilda Davour There was a Nancy, Andrew, America, James, Alvira, William, and Robert. They were of Holland/Dutch descent. They homesteaded in Ohio.

Stephen Lyon, my daddy's granddad, was one of five children born to America J. Lyon and Almon Lyon. Almon was an Ohio farmer born June 20, 1818. He was a farmer and left 320 acres in Cass County, Indiana. The burial ground is in the middle of a limestone quarry in Logansport, Indiana.

They had Charles April 20, 1863 Stephen b. April 23, 1873, Henry b. October 16, 1853, Almon Jr. b. May 2, 1866, and Amanda b. June 4, 1855. Amanda married William H. Kunse in Sept of 1887. A boarder named George C also lived in the household as per the 1850 census. You can see that America had children from the time she was twenty until she was forty when my great grandad Papa Steve was born. He was the baby.

Almon Lyon was the son of Sara Lyon b. Dec 6, 1795 in New York and Charles Lyon b. January 27, 1791 in New York. I think it was Westchester County. Sara was a Van Hyning I believe which makes me eligible for the DAR. She is buried d. June 18, 1848

Imagine me in the DAR! NOT!!! I think they had five children as well. One was Amanda Lyon. One was Almon Lyon. Almon was also married to a woman who died in childbirth, I believe and an infant whose marker says Emily d. August 20, 1848 7 months old. I think his wife was Sara and she died at 19 in childbirth. His second wife was America.

Stephen Lyon was married to Alice Fitzgerald June 6, 1900 and my grandmother, Velma was born July 14, 1901. Alice was the daughter of Tobias Fitzgerald and Emma Balzell of Georgetown, Kentucky. Tobias emigrated during the last potato famine from Ireland. He may have been from Limerick. Alice Fitzgerald committed suicide, so I guess that Irish heritage of madness was there.

1 comment:

  1. Deb, I have most of this, but nowhere near as complete. When I tried to e-mail it to myself, it restricted the length. Would you please send it to me so I can add it to my files!
    Love Dad

    ReplyDelete