Sunday, December 30, 2007

Ivory Bill, oh Ivory Bill, do you fly wild in Florida still?

These looked like ivory bill nest holes to me.






I have been landlocked for a while, horseytail....the weather has been exceedingly dreary and I have had a cold since last week but today I went out to the river in the afternoon after doing my episcopal duties... I don't remember such a long stretch of cloudy raining weather in these parts. Just as soon as I put in I saw this otter. The suwanee cooters were plentiful and the wintering- over crowd included cormorants, some woodpeckers I haven't identified yet and this black and white duck in addition to the usual gang of ibises, limpkins, egrets, and willetts.

I was looking for the ivory bill again today and now I have a song to sing about the ivory bill as well. I sang it while I paddled but it didn't attract any birds. Stephen B and I got together yesterday and recorded a version for the Will McLean Festival. Will was always writing songs about the flora and fauna of Florida and it fits the genre well, I think. Stephen is very creative and did most of the work but I think it is a good song and should place in the top ten at the contest. He also has a great swing song about the Suwannee which I think will place as well.

3 comments:

  1. Our bird is winging its way south, even now. Let's hope it roosts high at Willfest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. NICE BLOG. IF YOU WANT PUT IN YOUR LINKS MY BLOG.
    www.imathiabirds.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning pictures. Great blog!

    ReplyDelete