Saturday, March 07, 2009

The Wacissa... just before spring erupts

I have been out on the river several times in the past month. It has been cold, windy, foggy and this morning, when I launched just before dawn, I watched the sun slither up the trees and undulate across the western bank. Such light in the dawn. and hi gargoyle. When will I finally hear your piano...on a street in Amsterdam?

The woodstork below was soaring high over the river at dusk a few days ago.


I have been watching these traps for a few months. They finally disappeared last week. What type are they, I wonder? And whose were they?


Egrets mating dance. It was dusk and I couldn't get a clear shot but the image conveys the dance, I think, anyway.


This red shouldered hawk was roused by airboats this morningabout 7:30am.




This lone blackbird was singing a distinctive song this morning just after dawn.


Winter webs held dew.

4 comments:

  1. Jeez, you take great pictures. I just found your blog and I love it. The Wacissa was an Eden for me forty years ago, and I still dream of it. You are so lucky to be close to it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. they are crawfish traps, where were they? If they were fish traps they would be illegal.
    janice

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the kind words, Dan and LBSC!! Janice, the traps were directly across from Cassidy Spring for at least a couple of months. I thought they might be crayfish traps.

    ReplyDelete