Monday, July 28, 2008

Wacissa Sunday

This is a limpkin lunch counter. Our escargot enthusiasts are currently dining on some other trendier flow of springwater!
This part of the river, which is just south and west of Duck Island, looked so different to me today because of the abundance of growth, I snapped the photo so I could look at it again in winter. Mother checks all the clocks in the house now, to orient herself. I wonder if I could live for a time just telling time by the elements. This sense of time seems more familiar to my unconscious. Our way of counting time seems so mechanistic and against all logic.
My photos were unsatisfying in terms of lighting today. The light of early morning and late afternoon seems easier to understand .
I do enjoy learning how to stalk green herons. They are not necessarily spooked by movement but a combination of movement, splashing, and noise alerts them and they squaw and fly off. But I am getting good at sneaking up on them and photographing their dining habits. (No , mister twenty year old waiter, I am not a steamshovel! I am still dining...not WORKING on my meal !
I like watching birds walk. Bird feel are such marvels of engineering...
Enlarging this tri-colored heron makes one want to have feathers of one's own. They shoudl really call them multi-colored herons or circus herons or pinkeyed herons!


3 comments:

  1. I do avoid clocks as much as possible. Hardly ever wear a watch and definitely don't do alarm clocks, allowing the sun to wake me in the morning. I suppose the only way to escape the tyranny of time pieces entirely though would be to eschew all modern technology. That might be okay for a while but not permanently!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a mighty cute birdie you got there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is today (8/7) your birthday?
    Happy day!
    I like your closeups and observations from sneaking slowly up on them. Isn't a canoe (or kayak) wonderful for the quiet approach!

    Our great blue herons are so skittish, I rarely find them posing for me.

    ReplyDelete