Sunday, September 25, 2005

Wacissa Paddling






Paddling the kayak on the Wacissa today was sublime. Sometimes you can feel the springs all around you in north Florida, rising up from the ground and flowing to the gulf. The rivers boil up with springs from underground and the water swirls in eddies. This spring fed river is alive with birds, mullet, ducks, butterflies, and clear cool water. As you pick up springs, the current increases and the paddling is easy. I put in at the headwaters south of 59 and floated down stream. I took pictures of water birds and investigated the river's estuaries. The wind from the remnants of Rita was blowing upstream making paddling home easy. There were too many airboats at times, though. Where is Whitey Markle when you need him?

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your comment on my Wacissa trip on my blog--I missed this post on your site! I wonder if we have ever passed each other on this river?

    ReplyDelete