Monday, September 01, 2008

Twilight on The Wacissa: Storm Season







Like Peggy, I had to get out to see what the river looked like after all our rain. I left much later in the day on Thursday last week, since I am gainfully employed....It was difficult to get to the Wacissa with all the flooded roads and it took me over an hour because the way I normally go was blocked at Bucklake and the bottom of the Alford Arm behind my house, again at Chaires, again at Baum and again at 90. Much of this water was overflow from Black Creek which flooded my friends home's in the Micosukkee Land Coop. I did finally get to 59 which was clear and then I had a straight shot.

The river was very full, as full as I have ever seen it and of course it looked different. Like Peggy, I noticed lots more gators and in fact, I ran over a couple while I was paddling. There was very little floating vegetation and the river flowed freely with no log impediments. It was after seven o'clock in the evening when I got out and it rapidly got dark. The river was very misty and foggy and it was difficult to see. I felt that the river was full of gators because it was deeper and I was careful to watch as I paddled. I too, went into some coves which had heretofore been unpassable because of low water depth. The fog and mist hung over the river like a veil....

My time on the river is measured now, but when it gets cooler and visibility in the trees is better I will take some longer floats.

5 comments:

  1. Uh...that's kinda spooky, Ms. Flatwoods. Mind them gators...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Abby. I can't believe all the rain you had. I bet the gators were happy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very beautiful.
    The birds, especially--herons?

    I hope your world has returned to normal--and you've had a chance to relax with what you love.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just love you river-runners. Always very interesting stuff coming my way from yours.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rest in peace Old horsey tail! You brightened my corner of the world with your enthusiasm. I wish I had known you in real life! Come along with me as a spirit, anytime. Show yourself!

    ReplyDelete